Sunday, August 19, 2007

- 1 - Getting Ready To Travel North

Sarah Derby had been personal maid to Lady Laura for five weeks now. She jumped as she heard the tinkling of the bell, summoning her to climb the stairs, to the upper floors where the bedrooms were housed. Upon reaching the bedroom door, she tapped lightly and waited until she heard Lady Laura command her to enter. She bobbed a curtsy then stood quietly to hear what her young mistress would say.

"Good morning Sarah, did you sleep well?" she inquired pleasantly. Sarah replied she had, and was smiling inside because she had such a lovely person to work for. Nothing was boring when young miss was about, and as they were to travel to London on the morrow, she knew she would be very busy today. "What would you have me do first milady?" She asked.

"Oh, please help me get dressed, then I shall go downstairs for a light breakfast." She turned to Sarah and asked, "Have you eaten yet?" "Oh yes miss, a few hours ago." Sarah replied. "Well that is good then." Lady Laura said. "Perhaps you will begin by ordering up the trunks, and make sure that one of the footmen carry them upstairs for you. By the time I have eaten, we can decide what is best to pack."

Sarah assisted her to dress, and helped button all of the tiny buttons on the back of the dress. Her mistress had the purest and creamiest skin, with a light blush of color upon her cheeks. Her eyes were very large, colored a sweet sherry brown, and she was fortunate to have long dark lashes to enhance them. Now dressed in a light caramel shaded gown, she turned as Sarah handed her a pale golden shawl, which had no fringe.

Sarah dressed Lady Laura's hair by tying a coppery colored satin ribbon around her long, wavy amber hair, to keep it away from her face. "You won't be able to wear your hair down whilst you're in London, miss." Sarah reminded her. "Oh yes, I shall wear my hair up, and turn into a grand lady." Lady Laura smiled, showing perfect white teeth and then, whirling in a circle, she hugged Sarah and continued "I am so happy finally to be going to London!"

A surprised Sarah watched as her young miss hurried away downstairs. She smiled again for she, too, would be traveling to the great city. This would be an adventure for them both.

7 comments:

the Domestic Minx said...

Oh Theresa,

I am going to enjoy this darling!!!
What a lovely story. I do love this period!!

I have been horribly busy of late and am so ready to put my feet up and be entertained a little.
You do it so perfectly..

Your dear friend, Minx xox

Chaffee Street Cafe` said...

Dear Minx,

I love this time period too and am so glad you are my first official visitor and will always remember this.

Finally feeling good again so expect I will turn into a writing machine and produce mad amounts of verbs, nouns and profound nouns. Ha.

I told Lord Likely he will fall head over heels for my Lady Laura and I insist she will torture him until he is mindless.

oxxox Friends, Theresa

paisley said...

theresa.. this is amazing.. i had no idea you wrote fiction.. this is great,,, cant wait to read more.. i've got you in mu reader so i can keep track of you....

Lord Likely said...

I should like to make the acquaintance of this Lady Laura.

Very much so indeed.

INDEED.

Marvelous work, by the way.

Chaffee Street Cafe` said...

Paisley, Well ... I have read so many thousands of the regency novels I decided to try one on for size.


Lord Likely, And so you shall meet the beauty ... all in good time. All in good time.

Walter Gerald Burek said...

Wow Theresa!

Well done, m'lady. Is there no end to your talents?!

Cheers,
Walter

Chaffee Street Cafe` said...

Oh God, Walter, I hope not. This is what I was meant to do. I really appreciate you coming by. I hope you will want to follow the story.